Friday 8 April 2011

I Think I Preferred The Sales Calls

So, there's a knock on the door, and I'm home alone so I have to get up to answer it despite feeling very faint and not very steady on my feet (and still being in my pyjamas). I'm not best pleased about this but figure 'hey, it could be a parcel!' (I get all excited about them)

Guy at door: *speaking very quickly* Hello! I'm with the British Red Cross!
Me: *tries to get a word in edgeways to say that I have no money to give them* I'm sorry, I-
Guy: *still speaking quickly* Don't worry! We're not after your money! I just wanted to tell you about the vital work that we do around here! You're probably not aware of this but did you know that within a three-mile radius of your home there are roughly twenty sick or disabled people who need our help?!
Me: *finding it very difficult to stay standing* Actually, I-
Guy: We're on constant alert for these people in case they fall or faint or have strokes or accidents in their home!
Me: *worried I'm about to faint, finding it very difficult to concentrate on what he's saying* ...
Guy: *carries on ranting about disabled people to me* (lack of comprehension prevents me from telling you what he was saying here)
Me: *tries to get another word in edgeways* Excu-
Guy: *talks over me*
Me: ... *gives up and leans against wall to try and keep balance and consciousness*
Guy: *finally finishes rant* So, have you been out at work today or are you just having a leisurely day off?
Me: Actually, I don't work, as I'm disabled myself, and I *really* quite badly need to go sit down now. *stumbles back a few steps to collapse on the wheelchair behind me*
Guy: ...
Me: ... *too busy waiting for get my head to settle down and my blood pressure to normalise to talk*
Guy: Uhh, I'm very sorry. *walks off*

3 comments:

Oya's Daughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oya's Daughter said...

I can't decide if this is "win" or "fail" but I've had the same issue lately as the charity buskers start in on me to "help the disadvantaged" and I say "That would be me, open up the coinpot and let me have a few bob, please."

...actually the biggest irony is "Uh, sorry" and walked AWAY from you after all that bollocks about "helping". Good flippin' grief.

Friendly Neighbourhood Grammar Nazi said...

I think he was just a bit embarrassed, but yeah that was a pretty ironic fail! *sigh*

I was more surprised that despite my obvious discomfort, and having to lean my head on the wall as I couldn't hold it up, and the fact that I was in my pyjamas in the middle of the afternoon, he STILL subscribed to the 'but you don't look sick!' train of thought and assumed I was employed. :|